After Jacob’s death, Joseph commanded the physicians to embalm his father. And it took them forty days to do so, after which, the Egyptians mourned him for seventy days. Then, Joseph went and asked for permission to go and bury his father in Canaan. This is because Jacob had made him swear that he would bury him in the burial place bought by Abraham. And Pharaoh granted him permission to go and return.
So, Joseph, his brothers, their families, servants of Pharaoh, and the elders of Egypt all went to the land of Canaan to bury Jacob. And when they got there, they mourned Jacob for seven days. So, Jacob’s sons did for him just as he commanded them; for they buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah that Abraham bought for a burial place. And after they buried Jacob, Joseph and all who went with him returned to Egypt.
Joseph reassures his brothers
After their father’s death, Joseph’s brothers feared that Joseph will revenge for all the evils they did to him. So, they sent some people to Joseph to tell him that their father, Jacob, requested that he forgive his brothers for what they did to him. Then, later Joseph’s brothers also came and bowed before him telling him that they were his servants. And Joseph told them not to be afraid, that what they meant for evil, God meant for good. This is because he was sent to save many people from dying. Then, he comforted them and assured them that he would provide for them.
Death of Joseph
So, Joseph and his father’s household lived in Egypt and Joseph lived one hundred and ten years before dying. And he saw his children’s children to the fourth generation. Furthermore, before dying, Joseph assured his brethren that God would certainly take them up from Egypt to the land He swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And he made them take an oath that they would carry his bones from Egypt as they go. So, Joseph died, was embalmed, and put in a coffin in Egypt.
- Your impact determines who celebrates you and the kind of treatment your family and those close to you will get.
- No matter how important a person is, he must still subject himself to the higher authority. Joseph had to take permission from Pharaoh before going to Cannan to bury his father as he made him promise.
- It’s important that we honour our parents, alive or dead. Jacob’s sons honoured him by burying him exactly where he requested of them.
- We should not forgive because of a man. This is because if the man is no more, the tendency of resurrecting the evils done against you may be high. Joseph didn’t forgive his brothers because of their father. So, they didn’t need to fear what Joseph was going to do to them now their father was no more.
- God has plans for us and if it’s generational, let’s remember to pass it down to the next generation for them to prepare to receive it. Joseph assured his brethren that God would take them up from the land of Egypt to the land He promised their fathers. And he showed he believed it by telling them to carry his bones up from the land as they go.
Jesus is Lord!
Please visit my site for more spiritual resources.
Connect with me here.
Also, connect with me on
I am very active on my social media platforms.
God bless you.
Grace and peace of God be unto you.
Do share this post. If you enjoyed this post make sure you subscribe to our mailing list (Up top right) for free email updates.
Pls leave your comment below, I would like to hear from you.
Image by FreeBibleimages